Also called straight single stringer staircases, they feature a heavy-duty center beam that make them capable of handling up to 300 pounds per stair. The vertical boards on the outside edges carry the treads and risers from the landing to the next floor. Mono stringer stairs provide the most open air appearance of any other type of stair.
Advantages of Mono Stringer Staircases:
· Highly versatile stairs that can be made in almost any configuration: Straight-line, L-shaped, U-shaped, Geometric winder treads or combined with curved stairs or spiral stairs.
· Extremely rigid and strong while displaying an open look.
· A great compliment to modern and contemporary designs.
· Inexpensive staircases.
Disadvantages of Mono Stringer Staircases:
· Can have repair costs and potential liability which can outweigh the lower installation price.
· Not a good choice for longer distance spans.